accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 18:57:41 GMT
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher wrote:
> > Hi all, it looks like https://gitbox.apache.org is up and running.
> >
> >  From what I understand, this provides bi-directional mirroring between
> > GitHub repos and ASF repos, and would allow us to manage GitHub issues
> and
> > PRs by adding labels and milestones to them.
> >
> > Personally, I think this would be helpful, especially as we use GitHub
> more
> > and more for pull requests / code reviews.
>
> Github's review interface is my favored method of code review, but it
> seems like you're also suggesting that we adopt GH issues (or is that
> just some passing comment about Gitbox functionality?). I think our
> current process of JIRA and Github works just fine.

Agreed, it does work fine. I'm not suggesting we adopt GH issues. But, if
we ever did, this would be a prerequisite to using GH issues effectively.

I personally prefer GH issues over JIRA, but if I were to propose that, it
would be after we've adjusted to this switch, and I would suggest we do it
gradually and organically... similar to how we transitioned from RB to GH
for reviews. Technically, we still have RB, but we just don't use it
because GH is better.

In any case, I'm not proposing we start using GH issues, or even make it an
option, right now. For now, I'm just thinking it would benefit management
of PRs (among the other, lesser, benefits I list).

> What problems do we have as a project which labels and milestones would
> solve? Otherwise, this just seems like change for change's sake.

I think not being able to add labels and milestones is itself a problem. It
makes organizing/tracking/searching PRs harder. Certainly, it's much harder
to navigate to the corresponding JIRA issue (if one was mentioned), and
view that information there, rather than simply see it on the PR itself.

In addition to label and milestone, it also lets us use "assignees", which
I think is useful to track committers who are working on merging the PR,
and "projects", which I don't think is very useful.

I think using GitBox would also allow us to close PRs without adding a
dummy commit.

It would also allow us to push directly to GH and optionally do merges and
edits from the GitHub UI, which lowers the bar for committers to make small
changes or merge changes. Being able to push directly to GH also gives more
options to people who might have a good GH connection, but a poor ASF
connection.

It also puts us in a good position to self-service Travis CI and other GH
apps, as GitBox service matures and INFRA provides more self-service
features.