accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 21:22:15 GMT
In case this wasn't clear earlier, I'm currently against this move. It
sounds like change for the sake of change.

Sure, JIRA has some bloat but it is also very useful. Do GH issues support
bulk edit of version field to move out everything that doesn't make a
release deadline? The way to convince me is probably to look up our JIRA
downtime vs GH downtime for the past month or year.
Mike D

On Fri, May 5, 2017, 4:05 PM Mike Drob <mdrob@mdrob.com> wrote:

> >Requiring 2 accounts and unnecessary copy and pasting between
> the sites are flaws in the process.
> Of note, we don't require anybody to use GitHub.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017, 3:15 PM Mike Miller <michaelpmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there are many benefits already mentioned that would make it worth
>> the switch.  I would add frames to the list of annoyances in JIRA.
>>
>> > I think having relevant project tracking information shared across two
>> separate systems is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>> This sounds like our current setup... GitHub + JIRA no?  If we had an easy
>> to migrate open issues than JIRA just becomes an archive.  Might be a good
>> chance to clean up old tickets too.
>>
>> > Given the overall "low" activity on the project, I don't see a point in
>> disrupting what has been working for us and what the gray-beards are used
>> to doing.
>>
>> I would argue this as a reason to switch - more convenience for new
>> developers should be a priority over propagating the habits of current
>> developers.
>>
>> > without a specific hole in our current process, this just seems likely
>> create confusion about how to use it.
>>
>> I agree, there would be confusion at first and an adjustment period (like
>> any change would require).  I would also agree there aren't holes in the
>> current process but this change wouldn't fill a hole, it would fix flaws
>> in
>> the process.  Requiring 2 accounts and unnecessary copy and pasting
>> between
>> the sites are flaws in the process.
>>
>> Does GitHub issues have custom filters?  If not, then that is one thing we
>> would lose.  But these may not be needed if it just works better.
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Mike Walch <mwalch@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I prefer GithHub issues over JIRA. Apache JIRA is slow, has a bloated
>> UI,
>> > and it's annoying that it doesn't remember my session and I have to
>> > re-login daily. I think new developers (esp those unfamiliar with
>> Apache)
>> > are more likely to report/work on issues if they were on GitHub as most
>> > non-Apache projects use GitHub and Apache JIRA requires an extra
>> account.
>> > I understand two issue trackers can be pain (esp for the person creating
>> > release notes) but I would rather encourage more issue reporting and
>> > contributions then speed up the process of creating release notes. We
>> could
>> > also move over the remaining open JIRA issues if GH issues became more
>> > heavily used.

>> for
>> process,

>> need