accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 14:50:28 GMT

Christopher wrote:
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM Josh Elser<>  wrote:
>> Christopher wrote:
>>> Hi all, it looks like is up and running.
>>>   From what I understand, this provides bi-directional mirroring between
>>> GitHub repos and ASF repos, and would allow us to manage GitHub issues
>> and
>>> PRs by adding labels and milestones to them.
>>> Personally, I think this would be helpful, especially as we use GitHub
>> more
>>> and more for pull requests / code reviews.
>> Github's review interface is my favored method of code review, but it
>> seems like you're also suggesting that we adopt GH issues (or is that
>> just some passing comment about Gitbox functionality?). I think our
>> current process of JIRA and Github works just fine.
> Agreed, it does work fine. I'm not suggesting we adopt GH issues. But, if
> we ever did, this would be a prerequisite to using GH issues effectively.
> I personally prefer GH issues over JIRA, but if I were to propose that, it
> would be after we've adjusted to this switch, and I would suggest we do it
> gradually and organically... similar to how we transitioned from RB to GH
> for reviews. Technically, we still have RB, but we just don't use it
> because GH is better.
> In any case, I'm not proposing we start using GH issues, or even make it an
> option, right now. For now, I'm just thinking it would benefit management
> of PRs (among the other, lesser, benefits I list).

Ok, migrating to GH issues was just a data point for now.

>> What problems do we have as a project which labels and milestones would
>> solve? Otherwise, this just seems like change for change's sake.
> I think not being able to add labels and milestones is itself a problem. It
> makes organizing/tracking/searching PRs harder. Certainly, it's much harder
> to navigate to the corresponding JIRA issue (if one was mentioned), and
> view that information there, rather than simply see it on the PR itself.

I don't agree with the assessment that it's much harder to open the JIRA
issue in another browser tab, but perhaps that's just me. I think having
relevant project tracking information shared across two separate systems
is a recipe for disaster.

> In addition to label and milestone, it also lets us use "assignees", which
> I think is useful to track committers who are working on merging the PR,
> and "projects", which I don't think is very useful.

IMO, someone saying "I'm working on merging this" is sufficient.

> I think using GitBox would also allow us to close PRs without adding a
> dummy commit.

Might be nice, but doing a dummy commit or asking the author to close it
is not onerous.

> It would also allow us to push directly to GH and optionally do merges and
> edits from the GitHub UI, which lowers the bar for committers to make small
> changes or merge changes. Being able to push directly to GH also gives more
> options to people who might have a good GH connection, but a poor ASF
> connection.

That would be nice -- GH does have some nice push-button integrations here.

> It also puts us in a good position to self-service Travis CI and other GH
> apps, as GitBox service matures and INFRA provides more self-service
> features.

Thanks for listing these points.

I don't see this as having sufficient value to disrupt our existing
workflow. The points you raised are primarily convenience issues, not
flaws in our JIRA workflow. Given the overall "low" activity on the
project, I don't see a point in disrupting what has been working for us
and what the gray-beards are used to doing.

>>> If we want to use this, we can put in requests to INFRA to move our repos
>>> over to this service rather than the current git service.
>>> INFRA has responded to my question saying they'll support use of this on
>>> first-come first-serve basis. I think it might be worth it. Some of the
>>> transition might be self service (GitBox allows PMCs to set up their own
>>> repos), but at the very least, we'd have to request INFRA to add our PMC
>>> the list of participating projects and have them remove the old one once
>>> the transition is complete.

View raw message