accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intermittent IT failures - was RE: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.3-rc2
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2017 23:43:17 GMT
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> When I wrote that test, there were issues with the minimum functioning
> renewal period as provided by the embedded KDC from Kerby. That is why
> this test runs for so long -- anything shorter failed.

I understand that. There was a comment in the code to that effect.

> This test passed at one point. I don't run tests on my own hardware to
> catch regressions anymore after previous discussions with you on this
> matter.

I don't understand what you mean by this, or how it applies. I'm sure it
did pass at one point... and may still (hence my question to the group
asking whether they observed it passing).

> In the future, I'd suggest investing the time into investigating
> why the test actually failed instead of picking apart the test itself.

I did preliminary investigation, and forwarded my observations to the group
for further discussion. I even suggested a possible cause for the failure.
But I didn't think it would be productive to dig any deeper without first
raising what I found to the group for further discussion and feedback.

"picking apart the test itself" is also known as "reviewing code" and
"investigating". I think you're taking my criticism of the code personally,
and I'm not sure why. The fact is, I got as far as I could at 1AM on
Saturday, and informed the group of what I experienced, because I thought
it was relevant to the vote which expires on Monday morning. It seems that
you'd prefer I postpone my comments until I have some kind of "perfect
knowledge" of what went wrong with the test and how to fix it. Aside from
the fact that I knew that I wasn't going to have time before the vote
concluded on Monday, that makes no sense to me even under ideal
circumstances... if we all did that, why would we even have a group? We're
better when we rely on each other's expertise and knowledge, and discuss
problems (or potential problems) as a team. I would like to see this test
improved, but I knew that working on it in silence on my own was not going
to achieve that.