accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Intermittent IT failures - was RE: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.3-rc2
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2017 22:15:12 GMT
Christopher,

When I wrote that test, there were issues with the minimum functioning
renewal period as provided by the embedded KDC from Kerby. That is why
this test runs for so long -- anything shorter failed.

This test passed at one point. I don't run tests on my own hardware to
catch regressions anymore after previous discussions with you on this
matter. In the future, I'd suggest investing the time into investigating
why the test actually failed instead of picking apart the test itself.

Thanks.

Ed Coleman wrote:
> I had commented on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-4602 that I often have
trouble with this and a few others.

> Not sure it makes me feel any better, but for me, this is not "new" to 1.7.3. I thought
it could be due my virtual-box development environment, but I've tried running verify on a
AWS c4.2xlarge instance with the same intermittent results. I have had it pass, but more often
than not it fails.

> To help decide if 1.7.3-rc0 could be a candidate, I made the following chart tracking
IT issues – and then at one point the KerberosRenewall passed for me (and it passed a few
times in a row) and I stopped updating the chart.:

> Instance Type
>

> Test
>
> AWS1
>
> AWS2
>
> AW3
>
> OpenBox 1
>
> OpenBox 2
>
> OpenBox3
>

> AssignmentThreadsIT.testConcurrentAssignmentPerformance:91

> BadDeleteMarkersCreatedIT>AccumuloClusterIT.teardownCluster:223 » TestTimedOut

> ChaoticBalancerIT.test:80->Object.wait:502->Object.wait:-2 » TestTimedOut test...

> ConditionalWriterIT.testTrace:1476 » TestTimedOut test timed out after 60 seco...

> DurabilityIT.testWriteSpeed:103 log should be faster than flush

> FateStarvationIT.run:79 » Runtime java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.zooke...

> KerberosRenewalIT.testReadAndWriteThroughTicketLifetime » TestTimedOut test ti...

> ShellServerIT.trace:1444

> TabletStateChangeIteratorIT.test:100 No tables should need attention expected:<0>
 but was:<1>

> UnorderedWorkAssignerReplicationIT.dataWasReplicatedToThePeerWithoutDrain:548 » TableOffline

> KerberosReplicationIT.dataReplicatedToCorrectTable:224 » TestTimedOut test tim...

> I am seeing the same intermittent failures with 1.7.3-rc1 and 1.7.3-rc2.

timing out. It looks like it's supposed to finish between

> 8 and 9 minutes... an insanely long time for a *single* test to be running, IMO, especially
one as narrowly focused as this one (ShellServerIT, for example, runs about that long, but
covers a very broad spectrum of Accumulo behavior). This test ignores the scaling parameter,
too, so it cannot be scaled with the timeout.factor system property.

> The actual behavior of the test is to just create a table, put in data, scan it, then
delete the table, every 5 seconds for 8 minutes minimum, under the assumption that the Kerberos
ticket will expire at some point during that time period, and Accumulo will automatically
renew it and continue functioning (the actual condition of expiration and renewal is never
checked). This seems like something that should be mocked out on the object responsible for
the detecting and handling the renewal, and not a

> 8-9 minute integration test. It's not even clear from the current test which code is
responsible for that (e.g. which code this test is testing).

> The most recent failure timed out after 9 minutes trying to create an Accumulo table.
This could indicate that there's a problem with the ticket not renewing when there's an expiration
waiting for a FATE operation... or it could just be that's where the test happened to be when
the 9 minutes were up.

> Is anybody else experiencing problems with this test?
>

> In spite of this failure, I'm willing to give my +1 anyway, since I'm inclined to think
this is simply an unreliable test.