accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject My mistake (force push)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 22:36:17 GMT
Accumulators,

I accidentally made a big mistake with my authorship information in a
recent commit to the accumulo git repository.

Git was somehow pointing to somebody else's .gitconfig file when I authored
my commits for ACCUMULO-4514, so the authorship information on my last
commits were incorrect. I immediately corrected the author information and
did a force push.

 * This affected only my commits, and nobody else's.
 * The contents of the commits was not changed... only the author
information.
 * The affected branches were: 1.7, 1.8, master

I understand this it is not normal, or expected to see force pushes like
this. My reasoning was that I did *NOT* have that user's permission to use
their information in my commit, and I did not want to misrepresent myself
as them when they had nothing to do with those commits. I was also able to
notice the problem and fix it very quickly, so I was reasonably confident
that it would be fixed before anybody would notice.

However, since it was my mistake, I do owe the community an apology. Please
forgive this serious error in judgment. I will endeavor to verify my
commits more thoroughly before pushing them in the future.

Thank you for your understanding. If this impacted your
clone/mirror/checkout in any way (because I did not correct it fast
enough), please let me know, and I will provide any necessary git expertise
to correct your environment.

(Private list CC'd to ensure PMC members not tracking this list closely
will be fully informed.)

Christopher