accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Iterator Clean Up
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2016 16:36:30 GMT
OrIterator and AndIterator are both miserable piles and not good
representations of what they're actually supposed to be do.

They are designed to do conjunctions or disjunctions across one or more
columns within a row. e.g.

1 f:a => bob
1 f:c => george
1 f:z => sally

You could use the AndIterator to find row "1" for (f:a => bob AND f:z =>
sally) and you could use the OrIterator find row "1" for (f:a => bob OR
f:c => frank). The power behind the design of these iterators is that
you could compose them to do things like (AND (OR f:a => bob f:c =>
frank) f:z => sally).

I'm not sure how to best handle them, but would agree that they are in
terrible shape and not helping anyone. Channeling my "inner Tubbs", if
they continue to exist in accumulo "proper", they should have cleaned
up. Otherwise, defer until someone wants to give them some love.