accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Dylan Hutchison <dhutc...@cs.washington.edu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Would a visibility histogram on a table be harmful?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:42:32 GMT
Interesting idea.  It begs the question: should we allow any custom index
at the RFile level?  If RFile indexes were user-extensible, then a
visibility index would be something any developer could write.  That said,
we can still include such an index as an example, and if we did it could be
used by the Accumulo monitor.

The RFile-level sampling followed this path.  I would support further work
similar to it, though I admit I don't know how difficult a job it entails.
Bonus points if the index information could be accessed from iterators the
same way that sampled data can.

I can't speak to the appropriateness of visibility histograms on the
monitor *by default*, but it would be a strictly useful feature if it could
be enabled via a conf option.