accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Dylan Hutchison <dhutc...@cs.washington.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Plan for next release
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 00:48:44 GMT
-1, primarily with the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often
<https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases>".  Let's get
our changes out there, rather than wait another month to add in Java 8.  My
vote is not religious, however, and it could change if someone argues for
some incredible difference Java 8 could make in a release *right now*.

I don't see enough immediate benefit in releasing a Java 8 branch.  Not
much Java 8 dependent has changed since introducing Java 8 into master.  We
can do Java 8 development with master.

I agree with Josh that the maintenance burden does not seem very different
with the proposed plan.  Then again I have not been actively developing new
features recently; perhaps someone who is working on a grand change for 2.0
could comment on how accelerated-release 2.0 would be helpful for
development on 3.0.