accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Moss <michael.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BatchWriter Improvements - An end user's perspective
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:20:42 GMT
Appreciate your input, Keith. Some inlining below.

On 2016-08-29 16:24 (-0400), Keith Turner <k...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Michael Moss <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:>
> > Hello, Folks.>
> >>
> > As I look at the following tickets, I thought it might be useful to
share>
> > how we are using the BatchWriter, some of the challenges we've had,
some>
> > thoughts about it's redesign and how we might get involved.>
> >>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-4154>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-2589>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-2990>
> >>
> > One of our primary use cases of the BatchWriter is from within a Storm>
> > topology, reading from Kafka. Generally speaking, storm might be
persisting>
> > a a single or small set of mutations at a time (low latency), or in
larger>
> > batches with Trident (higher throughput). In addition to ACCUMULO-2990
(any>
> > TimedOutException, which then throws MutationsRejectedException and>
> > requires a new connection to be made), one of our requirements is to
ensure>
> > that any given thread's mutations are the ones which are flushed and
none>
> > others (pseudo transactions). Otherwise, we might get a failure for a>
> > mutation which belongs to another thread (and already ACKed by Storm)
which>
> > means we don't have a 'handle' on that offset anymore in Kafka to
replay>
> > the failure - i.e. the message could be 'lost'.>
> >>
> > Despite being threadsafe, we end up using a single BatchWriter per
thread>

> How many threads are you having each batch writer use?>

We've tuned it to be anywhere between the default of 3, to 1-x * # of cpus.
The latest issue we ran into was under high write frequency, the queries
requesting metadata to locate tablets were being queued up on the server
and that was causing timeouts (in an endless loop - timeout, new
batchwriter, metadata query, timeout...). Increasing batching (decreasing
write frequency) helps with that, as well as increasing timeouts. I don't
know this code well yet, but it looks like there is
one TabletLocatorImpl.metaCache per TabletServerBatchWriter. I'm wondering
if maybe that metadata could instead be shared across all BatchWriters on
the Connector instead?