accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Plan for next release
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2016 21:21:50 GMT
After our lengthy (sorry for that) discussions about Java 8, 1.8.0, and
2.0.0, I wanted to bring us to a vote, just so we can have a concrete plan
of action, without any ambiguity or uncertainty. A vote is the best option
available for resolving differences of opinion about our upcoming release
plans.

The action to vote on is the following:

    (+1): Drop 1.8 branch, stabilize the master branch, and release 2.0.0
from master

If the vote fails to pass, the default action (which is implied by a -1) is
the following:

    (-1): Release 1.8.0, supporting a 1.8.x release series; 2.0.0 and the
master branch will be addressed at some unspecified future time

This is a majority vote regarding release plans, so we can make progress on
a reasonable release timeline. Specific changes in a branch can still be
veto'd while we work towards the release, as normal, regardless of the
outcome of this vote.

Here's some main points to consider for this vote:

* Everything in the 1.8 branch is included in the Master branch.
* Master branch requires Java 8.
* Releasing from master will allow us to work from master again for routine
development, instead of reserving master for unstable development (which is
how it currently has been treated).
* Master branch aggressively removes deprecated stuffs; I'm actively
working on reverting these in master regardless of the vote, because they
introduced some destabilization.
* The one deprecation removal which I intend to keep in Master is the
removal of the trace library (not the tracer server, which will stay). We
don't need the trace library, because we now use HTrace. If people need the
deprecated HTrace wrappers for their own code in that trace library, they
should still be able to use the wrappers in the 1.7 version of
accumulo-trace. They won't need it for Accumulo, though, because Accumulo
doesn't use it, not even in the 1.7 branch. This would be added to the
release notes if this vote passes.
* After reverting the deprecation removals, the master branch is *very*
similar to the 1.8 branch right now. It contains only a few extra commits,
mostly for Java 8-related cleanups and README improvements. (git log
origin/1.8..origin/master --no-merges --oneline)
* If this vote passes, it will be 100%, or nearly 100%,
backwards-compatible with 1.7.x, just as 1.8 branch is today. This is
because there haven't been much changes in the master branch which aren't
coming from merges from 1.8. This will mean that the entire 2.x line will
be just as backwards-compatible as this next release and there will be no
significant deprecation removals from [1.7.0, 3.0).

This vote will end on Thu Aug 25 21:30:00 UTC 2016
(Thu Aug 25 17:30:00 EDT 2016 / Thu Aug 25 14:30:00 PDT 2016)