accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject slf4j changes
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2016 18:49:48 GMT
I'm going to try to start working on cleaning up some of our log
initialization stuffs, in order to help make it easier for users to use a
different log implementation than log4j.

This will involve setting log4j.configuration system property in our
scripts to point to the appropriate configuration file, and removing some
of the log4j initialization code.

The one feature which is pretty highly tied to the log4j implementation is
the SocketAppender feature in the monitor, which our example server configs
use by default. Support for that feature is provided by a log4j-specific
implementation. Other implementations may not provide a
compatible/equivalent SocketAppender client.

The biggest problem I think we'll run into by removing the log4j
initialization in code is that we currently dynamically determine the
location of the monitor, and set a property which the default/example
configs use as a parameter to the socket appender. We might be able to do
some of this in scripts, but not the re-initialization if the monitor moves
locations. I'm going to investigate some options for an alternative...
perhaps a custom AccumuloMonitorSocketAppender, which does the location
detection internally (rather than as a parameter).