accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Plan for next release
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 04:18:05 GMT
Just want to respond to a few points so far:

1. With my revert of the previously destabilizing changes I introduced in
master, the master branch and 1.8 branches are *nearly* identical in
functionality, backwards-compatibility and suitability for release, with
only a few substantive differences. The master branch is as much ready for
a release as the 1.8 branch, and the only reason to do 1.8 instead is if
these new features are in high-demand for a Java7-only environment. I do
not think that demand has been demonstrated to exist... only
hypothesized. However, there *has* been a demand for using Java 8 features:
some maven plugins are no longer being patched with support for Java 7 and
we can't update to get bug fixes, some libraries contributors have wanted
to use for their patches require Java 8 and we need a release which they
can contribute such changes to, libraries like Jetty getting security
updates and requiring Java 8, etc.

2. Nobody has been giving "I wanna us new shiny APIs!" as a reason. That is
a straw man. There are rational reasons for requiring Java 8, which are
more substantive than thinking it "shiny". Remember that we actually
branched 1.8 so we could bump master and provide users with an area to
contribute code which requires Java 8. We're not exactly encouraging
contributions if it doesn't look like that branch is ever moving towards a
release.

3. The master branch has the same API as the 1.8 branch. Client code
developed for the current 1.8 branch, even if it's compiled on Java 7,
should still work against the master branch. There's nothing in the APIs
that force client code written against older releases, or 1.8 development
snapshots, to be rebuilt with Java 8.

4. Regarding kicking the can down the road. After releasing master as 2.0,
I expect we'd proceed with our usual release cadence, bugfixes on 1.7 and
2.0, while working on new features for 2.1. I would, however, propose a
change in our dev workflow... no more routine merging to master... leave
that equal to the latest tag... "future" versions like 2.1, 3.0, etc.
should be worked in a properly labeled dev branch. However, we can deal
with that suggestion later. Regardless of the workflow change, I'd expect
bugfixes for 1.7 and 2.0, while working on 2.1.

5. I agree we need to make sure users have a good upgrade path to safely
move off of previous releases. Both 1.8 and 2.0 branches currently support
upgrades from 1.6. Regardless of what we do for this release, users will
have a safe path. What additional plans must be made, and how is that
related to this? Sorry, I didn't follow your reasoning there.

6. The testing burden everybody's talking about assumes we'd release 2.0
shortly after a 1.8. If we're willing to EOL 1.7 that soon, then much of
this burden is relieved. But, I think a rapid EOL of 1.7 would be a greater
harm than skipping 1.8 would cause harm to hypothetical users who want the
1.8 feature set on Java 7.

7. Regarding "release early, release often"... we wouldn't need to wait
another month. We already have a 2.0 branch (master) ready to go with Java
8 added in.. a 2.0.0-rc1 is as easy as a 1.8.0-rc3. This proposal is simply
suggesting that those extra commits should be included in the release, too.