accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc P." <marc.par...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] How to bring more pluggable interfaces into public API
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:39:01 GMT
I tend to think that what can be configured now is tailored to the
infrastructure engineers? With the exception of SKVI, is it short sighted
to suggest that the consumers of said APIs are generally few and far
between?  Those flexible APIs exist for the John "Ain't no mountain high
enough" Vines of the world.

My point is that breaking an API into public and private makes maintenance
difficult because you have few people that understand certain portions of
the code. Furthermore, there is frustration in making changes at certain
levels. Could there be value in defining layers of API responsibility that
dictate for who or whom these APIs may be useful but also differentiate
temporal stability? i.e. scanner API is slightly more consumer focused and
is stabilized much more than tablet balancers, where changes may occur at a
greater frequency?