accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Dealing with FastBulkImportIT
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:01:45 GMT
Hi,

I have some complaints about FastBulkImportIT (a test added with
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3327) but no good ideas
for how to better test it. As it presently stands, it is a very
subjective test WRT the kind of hardware used to run it.

The test launches a 3-tserver MAC instance, creates about 585 splits on
a table, creates 100 files with ~1200 key-value pairs, and then waits
for the table to be balanced.

At this point, it imports these files into that table and fails if that
takes longer than 30s.

On my VPS (3core, 6G ram, "SSD"), the bulk import takes ~45 seconds.
This test will never pass on this node which bothers me because I am of
the opinion that anyone (with reasonable hardware) should be able to run
our tests (and to make sure it's clear: I believe this is reasonable
hardware).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we could stabilize this test for
developers?

- Josh