accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed binary packaging changes
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 19:13:13 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM William Slacum <wslacum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is another action we could take be adding profiles for each version of
> dependencies to include appropriate dependencies (and dependencies'
> metadata)?

That could be a potentially huge number of profiles, and it would add a lot
of complexity which is certainly going to suffer from lack of maintenance
over time. I really think this kind of thing (integration) is a distinct
responsibility better suited to external/downstream tasks than
internal/upstream.

> I guess right now the problem is we throw in a generic "one size fits all"
> distribution, and we're seeing the cracks in it?

Yes. That's my opinion.