accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Can no longer obtain JDK6/JDK7 tarballs
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2016 22:22:58 GMT
I know we've discussed moving to JDK8 before, and we've moved the master
branch, which is expected to be 2.0.0.

However, I'm trying to get the tarball for JDK7, so I can do development on
older Accumulo branches while guaranteeing I don't do anything which will
only work in JDK8.

Unfortunately, OpenJDK does not provide tarballs to download, as far as I
can tell. They work with downstream systems for packaging, but my OS does
not package end-of-life (EOL) JDKs.

So, I have to use the Oracle JDK tarball for JDK7. Unfortunately, Oracle
requires users to register to download EOL packages, and registration
requires users to provide a lot of details about themselves, their home
address, and their employment (required as part of the registration/terms
of use). I'm unhappy and reluctant to disclose all that to Oracle (I'm not
confident about their privacy practices).

The alternative is to use an RPM for OpenJDK from another Linux distro, but
that will probably not work outside the system it was designed for, and
would probably conflict with my installed JDK8 rpm.

So, now it seems I'm screwed a bit, and can't do development in a "pure"
JDK7 JAVA_HOME on my modern OS. This is frustrating. Has anybody else run
into this yet? What's your solution?

I'm half tempted to suggest we require Java 8 for all future releases,
because of the difficulty of trying to guarantee support for older versions
of Java when the EOL java versions are so increasingly difficult to
obtain... but I know that probably wouldn't go over very well.