accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Can no longer obtain JDK6/JDK7 tarballs
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:13:31 GMT
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:41 AM, <dlmarion@comcast.net> wrote:

> Can't you use JDK8 and keep the source and target at 1.7?

Yes, but I think developers can accidentally use methods introduced in
1.8.   If TreeMap.foo() only exists in Java 1.8 and someone uses it (in a
1.7 source compatible way), then the code will compile to 1.7 class files.
However, it will not actually run in 1.7 jre.

I suspect most developers are using JDK8.  So unless someone does a build
with JDK 1.7 before release, these problems will go undetected.
Christopher is trying to setup jenkins with multiple JDKs to do these
builds.

Is running jenkins on Centos 6 an option?  Then maybe Centos6 has OpenJDK6
and 7??  And can download Sun JDK8 for Centos 6.