accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: ACCUMULO-1604 Bug Fix
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 18:32:22 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Mike Miller <michaelpmiller@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Devs,
>
> For those of you I have yet to meet, my name is Mike Miller and I am the
> newbie who is going to be helping out on Accumulo development. I have been
> working with Accumulo as a Java developer on an ingest and query project
> for the past year.  I doubt I'll be able to fill the shoes of past
> contributors but I hope that I can make a positive contribution to the
> project.
>
> I have browsed the JIRA tickets labelled "newbie" and selected the
> ACCUMULO-1604 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1604> bug to
> fix (more so as a learning exercise than anything). I just wanted to make
> sure I am reproducing the bug correctly and to propose a solution.
>
> I believe I reproduced the bug by getting the ColumnAgeOffFilter to throw
> an "IllegalArgumentException: bad TTL options" in the
> o.a.a.core.iterators.user.FilterTest.test2a(). I did this by adding the
> following line:
> ColumnAgeOffFilter.setNegate(is, true);
> This Exception is caused by: NumberFormatException: For input string "true"
>
> The comments in the ticket discuss adding "column:" prefix to options for
> the ColumnAgeOffFilter. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think it can
> be fixed without having to change the syntax of the options. Wouldn't
> adding a check to the loop in the constructor of TTLSet to ignore the
> NEGATE option on any strings in objectStrings param prevent this error from
> occurring?  The negate option would still be seen by the parent, without
> any further changes.

That would fix it.   It does not solve the case where new options are added
to the superclass in the future.  However the option you proposed is
infinitely better than doing nothing and I would be in favor of making that
change.

Implementing the "column:" prefix in a backwards compatible way is very
tricky, especially if considering the case where someone currently has an
actual column name with that prefix.