accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Htrace4, Hadoop 2.7
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 15:19:49 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> Ah, my mistake. I thought it was 2.7 and later. Well, then I guess the
> question is whether we should bump to 2.8, then. I'm not a fan of the shim
> layer. I'd rather provide support for downstream packagers trying to
> backport for HTrace3, if anybody ends up requiring that, than provide a
> shim to preserve use of the older HTrace.

Hadoop 2.8 isn't out yet, though it now has no blockers listed in
JIRA. We could ask the Hadoop community what their current thoughts
are on timing. Hadoop 3 has a release manager that has said an initial
alpha release is "close", so maybe we'd be dealing with that first.

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Billie Rinaldi <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm in favor of bumping our Hadoop version to 2.7. We are already on the
>> same htrace version as Hadoop 2.7. (The discussion in ACCUMULO-4171 is
>> relevant to Hadoop 2.8 and later.)
>>
>> Billie
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Thinking about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-4171, I'm
>> of
>> > the opinion that we should probably bump our Hadoop version to 2.7 and
>> > HTrace version to what Hadoop is using, to keep them in sync.
>> >
>> > Does anybody disagree?

Would we be bumping the Hadoop version while incrementing our minor
version number or our major version number?

--
busbey