accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.2-rc1
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 19:53:46 GMT
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike Drob wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for taking a look, Sean.
>>
>> The LICENSE file in the source tarball refers to the BSD license and
>> includes "for details see
>> core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/bloomfilter" and all files
>> there (BloomFilter.java, DynamicBloomFilter.java, and Filter.java) include
>> the full 3-Clause BSD license in the header. Similarly, the MIT clause has
>> "for details see server/monitor/src/main/resources/web/flot" which has a
>> LICENSE.txt
>

> I have absolutely no idea if this is "sufficient" or not. I can understand
> Sean's confusion in not seeing relevant licenses in the LICENSE file.

My reading of the asf release policy on licensing is that folks
shouldn't have to dig to find the relevant materials.

"start here" is not a pointer to a specific file with the relevant
text, which is the only option for not including directly in the
LICENSE file I've seen expressly stated as acceptable in the past.

>> Regarding the crypto, according towww.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform
>> it
>> looks like we need to place that disclaimer in the README and not the
>> NOTICE file anyway. If you prefer this reading of the policy, can you file
>> a JIRA for making these changes and set it as a blocker? Thanks.
>

> Yeah, NOTICE is not the right place for this, AFAIU. I wouldn't think this
> is a blocker, but something we should just remove from the src-release's
> NOTICE file.

Agreed that this should get fixed but need not be a blocker.

I'll file JIRAs for both issues, but the first one is still a blocker
for me, though I can understand why other folks might still vote +1.

--
busbey