accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Jira/GitHub spam reduction thoughts
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 04:43:51 GMT
Okay, so after all that work I did on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11675 , we were able to get the
duplicate messages on the notifications list to stop, which came from
comments on GitHub pull requests which also triggered emails about comments
from JIRA.

However, it now appears that watchers are still getting these. While JIRA
is not sending notifications to the mailing list, it is sending it to
watchers, reporters, and assignees.

I believe the relevant setting is "Work Logged On Issue":
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/ACCUMULO/notifications

I think this is a recent thing. I don't recall ever getting extra emails
about work being logged on issues I was watching before. Was this related
to the switch from the Hadoop permissions model to the default permissions
model as part of the JIRA mitigation?

Who can even edit these notification settings normally? Is that an
INFRA-only thing? Is there any way we can get more control over configuring
these notifications? I'd think the PMC should probably be able to do some
self-service here, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty locked down, and
it's actually getting pretty annoying.

If we can't get a handle on these notifications, I have two options left:

1. We switch to "linkonly" instead of "worklog" (see INFRA-11675) for
GitHub PR integration.
2. I get better at filtering my email.

#1 makes me sad, because I like seeing the PR activity in the timeline with
the comments on the "All" tab in JIRA.
#2 doesn't solve anything for anybody else