accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jira/GitHub spam reduction thoughts
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 20:10:29 GMT
On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Billie Rinaldi <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Okay, so after all that work I did on
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11675 , we were able to get
> > the
> > duplicate messages on the notifications list to stop, which came from
> > comments on GitHub pull requests which also triggered emails about
> comments
> > from JIRA.
> >
> > However, it now appears that watchers are still getting these. While JIRA
> > is not sending notifications to the mailing list, it is sending it to
> > watchers, reporters, and assignees.
> >
> > I believe the relevant setting is "Work Logged On Issue":
> >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/ACCUMULO/notifications
> >
> > I think this is a recent thing. I don't recall ever getting extra emails
> > about work being logged on issues I was watching before. Was this related
> > to the switch from the Hadoop permissions model to the default
> permissions
> > model as part of the JIRA mitigation?
> >

> As far as I am aware, the notifications scheme was not changed due to JIRA
> spam. Yes, I think notification settings are one of things only INFRA can
> change. On the bright side, it appears we are on the "Accumulo
> Notifications Scheme," which makes it sound like it wouldn't be as hard to
> get custom changes for notifications as it is for permissions (INFRA really
> wants projects to use an existing permissions scheme). Are you suggesting
> we try to get watchers removed from the Work Logged On Issue notifications?
> What about the assignee and reporter?

Yes, I think all 3 should be removed. The only things publishing to the
worklog are things we already get notified of on the mailing list (git
commits and pull request activity, for example). It's only useful in the
timeline view of all the activity on the issue, retrospectively... it's not
really useful to be actively notified. (At least, that's true today... in
the future, people could start publishing other activity to the worklog
where we don't already have email notifications for, but I don't anticipate
that).