accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira/GitHub spam reduction thoughts
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 14:46:25 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay, so after all that work I did on
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11675 , we were able to get
> the
> duplicate messages on the notifications list to stop, which came from
> comments on GitHub pull requests which also triggered emails about comments
> from JIRA.
>
> However, it now appears that watchers are still getting these. While JIRA
> is not sending notifications to the mailing list, it is sending it to
> watchers, reporters, and assignees.
>
> I believe the relevant setting is "Work Logged On Issue":
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/ACCUMULO/notifications
>
> I think this is a recent thing. I don't recall ever getting extra emails
> about work being logged on issues I was watching before. Was this related
> to the switch from the Hadoop permissions model to the default permissions
> model as part of the JIRA mitigation?

As far as I am aware, the notifications scheme was not changed due to JIRA
spam. Yes, I think notification settings are one of things only INFRA can
change. On the bright side, it appears we are on the "Accumulo
Notifications Scheme," which makes it sound like it wouldn't be as hard to
get custom changes for notifications as it is for permissions (INFRA really
wants projects to use an existing permissions scheme). Are you suggesting
we try to get watchers removed from the Work Logged On Issue notifications?
What about the assignee and reporter?