accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: LruBlockCache alternative
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 15:14:47 GMT
On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cool, thanks for the poke, Ben!
>>
>> Last I checked, our version of the LRUBlockCache was nearly identical to
>> what was in HBase 1.x. I would imagine this would be easy to bring over.
>>
>> Maybe we can also try to swipe BucketCache while we're at it and get some
>> off-heap support for blocks.
>>
>> Aside: it would be nice if we could somehow find a way to share code like
>> this across the projects. HBase was interested in FATE for some time, but
>> eventually created their own new solution. I'm not sure what else exists
>> that we might want to share between projects.
>

> One way to share code is to spin off new projects, like the following :
>
>  https://github.com/snazy/ohc

I'd much rather share code under ASF governance. Some code that
started in Hadoop recently jumped over to Apache Commons, maybe that
could serve as an example?

https://s.apache.org/commons-crypto-vote

https://github.com/intel-hadoop/chimera/blob/master/PROPOSAL.html

https://s.apache.org/commons-crypto-vote-result

Maybe we should start a new thread to go over things we'd like to start sharing?