accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On the future of our commons-vfs2 dynamic classloading implementation
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:57:45 GMT
Alright, I'll suck it up and start the conversation yet again.

At least that will remove me from any future guilt ;)

dlmarion@comcast.net wrote:
> My email from Dec 2015 was sent as a last ditch effort before we fork. I don't remember
receiving a response to it. I may have worn out my welcome in that community as I have been
outspoken on the lack of movement. It might be useful for someone else to try once more, and
if not, then we fork VFS, remove all of the things we don't need, and make it better.

I have brought up the subject multiple times[1,2,3] and have even volunteered to do the release.
FWIW, I am using the features of the new classloader in production with little issue (using
the 2.1 snapshot code). A few months ago I discussed this with Christopher and the topic of
forking did come up. Also note that Benson just went through the release process for Commons
IO and it was not pain free. Apparently they are willing to work with some people and not
others.