accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LruBlockCache alternative
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:11:05 GMT
Sean Busbey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Keith Turner<keith@deenlo.com>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Josh Elser<josh.elser@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Cool, thanks for the poke, Ben!
>>>
>>> Last I checked, our version of the LRUBlockCache was nearly identical to
>>> what was in HBase 1.x. I would imagine this would be easy to bring over.
>>>
>>> Maybe we can also try to swipe BucketCache while we're at it and get some
>>> off-heap support for blocks.
>>>
>>> Aside: it would be nice if we could somehow find a way to share code like
>>> this across the projects. HBase was interested in FATE for some time, but
>>> eventually created their own new solution. I'm not sure what else exists
>>> that we might want to share between projects.
>>

>> One way to share code is to spin off new projects, like the following :
>>
>>   https://github.com/snazy/ohc
>>

> I'd much rather share code under ASF governance. Some code that
> started in Hadoop recently jumped over to Apache Commons, maybe that
> could serve as an example?
>

> https://s.apache.org/commons-crypto-vote
>
> https://github.com/intel-hadoop/chimera/blob/master/PROPOSAL.html
>
> https://s.apache.org/commons-crypto-vote-result
>
> Maybe we should start a new thread to go over things we'd like to start sharing?

Ooo, Apache Commons would be a nice home, IMO. Keeping it under the ASF
governance guidelines would be a plus. I feel like I had a talk about
this with Billie (and Stack, maybe?) a long time ago. Figuring out the
proper scope for it will be tricky though. Maybe we should already have
a list of initial things before taking it to HBase and others? (maybe
Cassandra would have benefit, too?)