accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From vdelmeglio <valerio.del.meg...@zalando.de>
Subject Accumulo on s3
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:54:41 GMT
Hi everyone,

I recently got this answer on stackoverflow (link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36602719/accumulo-cluster-in-aws-with-s3-not-really-stable/36772874#36772874):

>  Yes, I would expect that running Accumulo with S3 would result in
> problems. Even though S3 has a FileSystem implementation, it does not
> behave like a normal file system. Some examples of the differences are
> that operations we would expect to be atomic are not atomic in S3,
> exceptions may mean different things than we expect, and we assume our
> view of files and their metadata is consistent rather than the eventual
> consistency S3 provides.
>
> It's possible these issues could be mitigated if we made some
> modifications to the Accumulo code, but as far as I know no one has tried
> running Accumulo on S3 to figure out the problems and whether those could
> be fixed or not.

Since we're currently running an accumulo cluster on aws with s3 for
evaluation purpose, this answer make me wonder, should someone explain me
why running accumulo on s3 is not a good idea? in the specific, which
operations are expected to be atomic on accumulo?

Is there eventually a roadmap for s3 compatibility?

Thanks!
Valerio