accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git-based site and jekyll
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:54:03 GMT
Another reason we probably shouldn't worry about this: anybody can create a
DNS name at their leisure which transparently redirects to
accumulo.apache.org and serves its contents. This is perfectly legitimate
for a number of reasons, including corporate proxies/mirrors,
URL-shortening services, caching services, archiving services,
vision-impaired accessibility services, foreign-language DNS mappings, and
so-on.

I think when it comes to trademarks and our website, our area of concern
should mostly focus on when people misrepresent our trademark in the course
of their mirroring/archiving. There's no risk of that for a mirror that is
explicitly under our control, but I'm really leaning towards the javascript
to detect and display a message about the canonical location just to
mitigate any possibility for concern.

If you still have concerns, I'd be happy to put it up for a formal vote
from the PMC, or to get feedback from ASF trademarks folks before we
proceed.