accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git-based site and jekyll
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:20:10 GMT
There's plenty of room for improvement to the new git/Jekyll site. For
instance, we can start blogging there, so we have greater control over the
look and feel of our blog posts, and so any committer can blog without
needing to request an extra account. At some point, I think it'd be good to
migrate our existing blogs over to this.

Another thing we can do is put our release notes in an RSS feed, so users
subscribe to new release announcements/notes. I might put some thought into
that at a later point in time. For now, I'm just happy we're on git for
everything except the dist.apache.org/release mirroring (for which I'm
totally fine using git-svn).

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> There seemed to be a slight hiccup with the switchover... it didn't work
> on the previous push, but it worked just fine now. I've added some small
> javascript/html to our template so it shows a link to our canonical site in
> a banner when you're seeing our site hosted in a mirror. The banner is
> hidden on our canonical site.
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 5:33 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> With the completion of INFRA-11437
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11437>, our site should now
>> be building out of git. They wanted the branch to be called "asf-site", so
>> I renamed the one called "accumulo.apache.org". Shortly, I will be
>> updating the docs on our site which provide instructions for updating.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if I wasn't a git aficionado before, I'm well on my way. Using
>>> some low-level git commands (making full use of StackOverflow[1]), I
>>> actually put together a git post-commit hook to automatically regenerate
>>> and update the accumulo.apache.org branch (assuming you have one
>>> checked out locally) whenever you edit the gh-pages branch.
>>>
>>> Feel free to check it out here[2]. I've gone ahead and checked it into
>>> the gh-pages repo in a "hidden" (from Jekyll) developer area.
>>>
>>> Basically, if you have a local branch (hopefully one that is up-to-date
>>> and tracking upstream accumulo git) called "accumulo.apache.org", and
>>> you're current working branch is "gh-pages", all you need to do is copy (or
>>> symlink) the file to .git/hooks/post-commit
>>>
>>> This is just one useful way to automate this. A pre-push hook might work
>>> just as well, which commits directly to the remote or something which
>>> doesn't require a local up-to-date tracking branch to be useful. Still, I'm
>>> pretty proud of it.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> [1]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/35963533/196405
>>> [2]:
>>> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/gh-pages/_devtools/git-hooks/post-commit

After people
ASF repo, and

:)

objections, I don't
for this, IMO.

worry about this: anybody
This is
proxies/mirrors,
archiving services,
foreign-language DNS

and our website, our area
no risk of that for a
really leaning towards
the canonical location

to put it up for a
ASF trademarks folks

Elser<
that archive.org (and others
a "de-facto" location for
the expecting good faith
I'm just worrying too much.
coming from the PMC, it's
issue since it's really
issues, I imagine sites
in big trouble. But, it

GH-rendered site is to add
displays an informative link
That should be simple
PM Josh Elser<
mentioning that this concern only
the branch name gh-pages in
was regarding automatic rendering of
Accumulo website" on Github (both
forks).

that no one seemed to object in
while back. I wanted to make sure
example, Christopher's fork of
a canonical host of the Apache Drill
that I think it's an issue at this
it some thought and maybe ask
from trademarks?) before moving
is that we find some way to "gimp"
(redirect back to the canonical

back from INFRA about how the
old static hosting of a git branch. So,
would show up directly on the site,
would completely bypass CMS and buildbot
with elserj in IRC, and these ideas
use git branch named "site" or
to generate the static site contents in
(markdown) jekyll stuff in a
up a post-commit hook on gh-pages branch
static site to the "site"