accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Pros and Cons of moving SKVI to public API
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:50:27 GMT
Accumulators,

What are the pros and cons that you can see for moving the
SortedKeyValueIterator into the public API?

Right now, I think there's still some need for improvement in the Iterator
API, and many of the iterators may not be stable enough to really recommend
people use without some serious caveats (because we may not be able to keep
their API stable very easily). So, there's a con.

In the pros side, iterators are a core feature of Accumulo, and nearly all
of Accumulo's distributed processing capabilities are dependent upon them.
It is reasonable to expect users to take advantage of them, and we've at
least tried to be cautious about changing the iterators in incompatible
ways, even if they aren't in the public API.

Recently, this came up when we stripped out all the non-public API javadocs
from the website. (reported by Dan Blum on the user list on March 4th:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-user/201603.mbox/%3C066a01d17658%24bc9dc1b0%2435d94510%24%40bbn.com%3E
)

What would it take for us to feel comfortable moving them to the public
API? Do we need a better interface first, or should we isolate the other
iterators into another package (some of that has already been done), or
should we wait for a proper public API package (2.0?) to provide this
interface in?