accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: delete + insert case
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:18:03 GMT
Server-assigned timestamps aren't noticeably slower than user-assigned
timestamps, if that's what you're referring to WRT throughput.

As for using currentTimeMillis(), probably fine, but not always.

1) NTP updates might cause currentTimeMillis() to change in reverse
2) You need to make sure the delete and update always come from the same
host (otherwise two hosts might have different values for
currentTimeMillis())

Time is hard in distributed systems.