accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wall <mjw...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Pulling out the examples
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:57:26 GMT
Talking with Keith and Christopher today, they mentioned it might be useful
to pull the examples out of Accumulo into a separate project with it's own
repo.  Here are some talking points

- Provide an easy means to run examples against the MiniAccumuloCluster.

- Give users the ability to run examples without having to worry with the
rest of the codebase.

- Allow testing of the same examples against different releases.

- Could force the examples to use the external APIs only if we reorg'd the
packages.

- Potentially fold the wikisearch into this examples projects and bring it
back up to date.

To this end, I started with master
(e2055020219e6d56afb8d19b5a8eea519599f8b1) and deleted everything that
didn't seem to be related to examples.  Very early stages, but it is pushed
to https://github.com/mjwall/accumulo-examples.  The command 'mvn clean
test' works, but the default Accumulo version is 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.  I was
surprised that 'mvn clean test -Daccumulo.version=1.6.4'  and 'mvn clean
test -Daccumulo.version=1.7.0' both failed to compile, but in different
ways.

Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Mike