accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cached connector
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:56:01 GMT
z11373 wrote:
> My questions:
> 1. Since I haven't killed that service instance yet, is it possible to debug
> and find out the culprit? 100x slower is too much. Is that expected? What
> could be causing the slowness?

No, definitely not expected.

> 2. This makes me think caching Accumulo connector may not be a good idea.
> Current implementation is the cache got refreshed if there's exception. Slow
> read won't trigger exception, so it stays in the cache. Is it recommended to
> not caching the Accumulo connector?

I don't think we have the means to tell you what went wrong, but perhaps
we can help you find some clues. The Connector has some internal
synchronization, but I would not have thought caching a Connector would
have such negative impact -- sounds like a bug.

* Try attaching a profiler to your service (e.g. Java Mission Control,
YourKit). These can help you connect to your running service and figure
out what is taking a long time.
* You can also go the "low-tech" route and take a few stackdumps (e.g.
`kill -3 <pid>` or `jstack`) on your service to see get an idea of where
it is spending time.
* Take a heap dump of the service (e.g. `jmap`). Perhaps there is a lot
of garbage sitting on the heap not being collected or there's a memory leak.