accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: State of our RPCs
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:19:32 GMT
Gotcha. Billie just noted in IRC that, when Accumulo has custom RPC code
a long time ago, Keith's experiment showed Thrift 500x faster. That's
probably how we got started.

Since then, I think it's just been a good solution that works well in
the end (development work can be hard). The lack of an integrated
serialization and transport system is what kept up with Thrift. I could
only come up with gRPC that could be a true replacement, but I may be
missing others.

dlmarion@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm not suggesting that we replace Thrift (nor am I signing up to do it), just asking
for the basis of the decision and if its time to revisit. I'm totally ok with a 'no' answer.