accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From William Slacum <wsla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: total table rows
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:03:13 GMT
There is a performance difference. You have an upper bound of returning all
data to the client be scanned, even with a FirstEntryInRowIterator. Imagine
a table layout where each Key/Value pair represents a single row or
document. Using a counting iterator will return a count (most likely a
64-bit long) for each tablet, that the client can then add together.

There is a deleteRows feature (TableOperations#deleteRows) which may be
what you want. It avoids having to bring data back to the client.