accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What to do about encryption at rest?
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 21:43:21 GMT
Some colleagues have expressed interest in examining the current state of
our rfile encryption with the expectation to suggest improvements or
contributions to close the gap. I don't know a timeline for any of that, if
that interest even bears out in terms of concrete action, so I don't know
how much that should count right now. However, I wouldn't wrote off our
encryption at rest just yet.

That said, I agree it's currently in a dead state, and if it continues that
way, without progress to close the gaps in its implementation, it might be
best to scrap it for now until such time as we can refactor the RFile API
to ease improvements in that area of the code all around. As is, its API is
way more complex than it needs to be, and I'd bet it's scaring of potential
contributions.