accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What to do about encryption at rest?
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:37:09 GMT

William Slacum wrote:
> So I've been looking into options for providing encryption at rest, and it
> seems like what Accumulo has is abandonware from a project perspective.
> There is no official documentation on how to perform encryption at rest,
> and the best information from its status comes from year (or greater) old
> ticket comments about how the feature is still experimental. Recently there
> was a talk that described using HDFS encryption zones as an alternative.
>
>  From my perspective, this is what I see as the current situation:
>
> 1- Encryption at rest in Accumulo isn't actively being worked on
> 2- Encryption at rest in Accumulo isn't part of the public API or marketed
> capabilities
> 3- Documentation for what does exist is scattered throughout Jira comments
> or presentations
> 4- A viable alternative exists that appears to have feature parity in HDFS
> encryption
> 5- HBase has finer grained encryption capabilities that extend beyond what
> HDFS provides
>
> Moving forward, what's the consensus for supporting this feature?
> Personally, I see two options:
>
> 1- Start going down a path to bring the feature into the forefront and
> start providing feature parity with HBase
>
> or
>
> 2- Remove the feature and place emphasis on upstream encryption offerings

+1

I'm only smart enough to know that I'm not smart enough to build a
distributed database *and* encrypt it securely. I'd much prefer to defer
to the people up the stack.

The one thing we'd miss out on is things like column-family-level
encryption control (which I think HBase has), but I'd much rather have a
complete encryption story before worrying about the fine-grained support.