accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:14:31 GMT
On Sep 10, 2015 2:07 PM, "Christopher" <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> However, I don't know where the "willful copyright infringement" comes
> from. Omission of the LICENSE/NOTICE files is not necessarily an
infringing
> activity. They are acknowledgments/disclaimers of the legal status of the
> code we use. As such, they do not generally change the rights we have to
> redistribute under their respective licenses. They simply communicate
them.
> So, I think that part was a bit of hyperbole.

The bloomfilter code is included under a license that includes requirements
about notifying where it came from. In the binary jar for accumulo-core we
include no such notice about the provenance or copyright. That invalidates
the license, which means we'd be distributing the work without a license in
violation of the original authors' copyrights.