accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using combiner vs. building stats cache
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:01:43 GMT
Late chime in: Dylan and Russ are on the money. A combiner is the way to go.

And since there was some confusion on the matter, a table with 100 '1'
values for a given key would require the tabletserver to sum these
values, and then return them to the client. After the table compacts
(assuming a full compaction), these 100 '1' values would be rewritten on
disk to 1 '100' value. The beauty of this is that, as an application,
you don't have to know whether the values were combined by a
tabletserver before you saw them or if the value came directly from
disk. You just get a strongly consistent view of the data in your table.

Assuming you do go the combiner route, beware of writing a single '1'
update for every "term" you see. If you can do some batching of updates
to your stats table before writing to Accumulo (split the combination
work between your client and the servers), you should see better
throughput than sending lots of updates to the stats table.