accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Accumulo
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:24:13 GMT
Oh, one other thing that I should mention (was prompted off-list).

(definition time since cross-list now: HBase regions == Accumulo tablets)

Accumulo will handle many more regions than HBase does now due to a
splittable metadata table. While I was told this was a very long and
arduous journey to implement correctly (WRT splitting, merges and bulk
far between for Accumulo.

I was very happy to see effort/design being put into this in HBase. And,
just to be fair in criticism/praises, HBase does appear to me to do
assignments of regions much faster than Accumulo does on a small cluster
(~5-10 nodes). Accumulo may take a few seconds to notice and reassign
tablets. I have yet to notice this with HBase (which also could be due
to lack of personal testing).