accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From z11373 <z11...@outlook.com>
Subject sharding via different tables
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:36:42 GMT
Hi,
We have requirement to shard by customer id. I see there are two options:
1. put the customer id as column family
2. create tables for each customer id

The downside with option #1 is deleting rows only for specific customer id
would be pretty expensive (for option #2, it's simply as deleting tables),
and not sure if it'd be slower to scan too, though we can filter by column
family and Accumulo is optimized for that.

The downside with option #2 is when we have more customers later, we'll have
so many tables. Current implementation needs 4 tables, so we'll end up at
least (# of customers * 4) tables in Accumulo. Does Accumulo has limit on
number of tables?

I personally prefer option #2, but perhaps any of you had direct experiences
with this kind of issue before, and able to share the learning.

Thanks,