accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git Push Summary
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:40:21 GMT
I tried to look at what happened more closely today, but couldn't
quite figure it out. I did complete a merge from the current HEAD of
1.6 to 1.7 (using -sours, after verifying that it was appropriate),
and on to master. This doesn't restore the lost commit that was
previously pushed (b83f88caf), but if others are satisfied, I'm fine
with it how it is now.

Just please try to be careful from now on, and avoid force pushing. If
something was pushed by mistake, please push a reverse commit created
with 'git revert <commit>'.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Ed Coleman <dev1@etcoleman.com> wrote:
> This was an oops in two parts. I was trying to make a push a small change to the docs
client section.

> My change was refs/heads/1.6 967100dda -> b83f88caf but I mistakenly also ended up
committing / pushing changes associated with:

>   Merge branch '1.6' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo into 1.6
>   Commit: b83f88caf758ee9561d5041cc8d6fac3e6a68f62
>
> Then, the second push (forced) was to unwind these changes by rolling back to 967100dda.
967100dda was committed by Christopher on Friday 17 July. Hope this helps reconstruct if anything
was overwritten. Sorry.

> Ed Coleman

branches. We don't want to lose any history, and we don't want to break forks (unless there's
a very good reason, discussed on the list first).

> It's probably okay to do this on a feature branch, while it's in progress, but not once
it's been merged/pushed to a maintenance branch or master.

> If anybody has the specific extra commits that were previously pushed, then overwritten,
please restore them by merging them back in to the