accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Post 1.5.3 and 1.6.3
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 22:44:12 GMT
I completely agree with more abstracting separable funtionality where
it makes sense. I think RFile makes sense. Maybe separating it out
would help alleviate some problems I've seen with it being too tightly
coupled with Hadoop config and Accumulo config. And, maybe it'd help
with its API... right now, working with RFiles is a nightmare. Even
just basic read/write is confusing.

As for 2.0... I'm a bit scared of it myself. It keeps lagging in
priority for me, and isn't going very far very quickly. I have tried
to keep it rebase'd onto the latest master, but it's sometimes
difficult to keep that up. One thing I have kept on top of, though, is
dropping deprecated stuff in 2.0, so it's not burdened with old APIs
and stuff we intend to remove. Everything else in that branch is
either unfinished, or still a rough cut. I would like to start
maintaining a current 2.0 branch, in our shared git in ASF-land, which
is kept up-to-date, drops deprecated stuffs, and where I can start
merging in each feature we complete in the API, as we go. My main
concern with that is merge strategy... I don't want master tainted
with merges from 1.7 -> 2.0 -> master. That'd be bad... and would
cause huge problems for us. (1.7->master->2.0 is generally fine,
though). That's one reason I previously suggested ceasing use of
master as "current development branch", and explicitly make a "1.8"
branch for 1.8 devel. (because then, 1.7->1.8->2.0 would still make
sense).

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii