accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Newton <eric.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo debug mode possible?
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:39:49 GMT
You can add flags to the jvm arguments in accumulo-env.sh which will allow
remote debugging.

But we almost never do that. We generally write unit tests, and debug those.

The primary way we debug is with logging, and jstack'ing the running
processes.
When debugging a test system, we'll preserve the write-ahead logs which can
be used to determine what happened, especially for updates to the metadata
tables.

We have taken memory dumps of running programs.  This usually kills the
process because the act of dumping memory stops the process too long to
maintain zookeeper sessions.

There's also the monitor, which will highlight unusual conditions, HDFS
errors, show hot-spotting.

For the most part, it's log analysis, and usually a post-mortem.

-Eric