accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Post 1.5.3 and 1.6.3
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:43:33 GMT
Some thoughts myself...

John Vines brought up to me privately the topic of separating out the
RFile code from core. This started making me think about making this
clear for other components like FATE and RandomWalk. These all have some
level of separation, but they often get other things dropped into the
same bucket (e.g. ZK-retry code in FATE, Accumulo implementation classes
in RandomWalk). Maybe there are more things we could do.

It would be nice to start trying to pull out these
frameworks/sub-projects into discrete packages. I think it would help us
with testing and proper separation of logic. Long term, maybe other
projects would see the value and consider using/adopting them and grow
into their own separately-versioned artifacts. It would be nice to start
these efforts now to eventually reap the benefits.

2.0 and the new client API is a little scary now that we get another
tick closer to it. I know it's been Christopher's brain-child so far
(which is fine -- not meant to be taken in a negative context), but, if
we really do want to adopt it, we should make a concerted effort to
start integrating and reviewing it. Given how far away this seems, 1.8
and 1.9 could happen (or client API just gets targeted for a 3.0 --
numbers are just numbers).

We have some decent script improvements for 1.8 already in (PID files
_finally_). Would be nice to clean up the rest of the scripts too
(notably the stop scripts need some love).

Some other back-burner thoughts: better client API metrics, more
server-side tracing instrumentation, Adam's iterator-stack collapsing
perf ticket, keep tabs on HDFS tracing impl, keep tabs on HTrace's GUI
work, finish the Accumulo monitor rewrite (aka REST server + servlet3).

- Josh