accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Coleman" <d...@etcoleman.com>
Subject RE: Git Push Summary
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2015 13:02:17 GMT
This was an oops in two parts. I was trying to make a push a small change to the docs client
section.

My change was refs/heads/1.6 967100dda -> b83f88caf but I mistakenly also ended up committing
/ pushing changes associated with:

  Merge branch '1.6' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo into 1.6
  Commit: b83f88caf758ee9561d5041cc8d6fac3e6a68f62

Then, the second push (forced) was to unwind these changes by rolling back to 967100dda. 967100dda
was committed by Christopher on Friday 17 July. Hope this helps reconstruct if anything was
overwritten. Sorry.

Ed Coleman

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher [mailto:ctubbsii@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2015 2:57 AM
To: edcoleman@apache.org; Accumulo Dev List <dev@accumulo.apache.org>
Subject: Fwd: Git Push Summary

This looks like an "oops". We shouldn't be force-pushing anything to our maintenance/development
branches. We don't want to lose any history, and we don't want to break forks (unless there's
a very good reason, discussed on the list first).

It's probably okay to do this on a feature branch, while it's in progress, but not once it's
been merged/pushed to a maintenance branch or master.

If anybody has the specific extra commits that were previously pushed, then overwritten, please
restore them by merging them back in to the
1.6 branch. If you need help, please ask.

Thanks.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii