accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From dlmarion <dlmar...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: Launching Accumulo Servers Programatically
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 22:04:16 GMT

Sorry for the short response, sitting at the ball field, but want to chime in. I have some
interest in this area as well. I have some local code modifications that I intend to commit
at some point to start / stop Accumulo. This involves making the admin methods programatically
accessible.

-------- Original message --------
From: Jim Klucar <klucar@gmail.com>
Date: 05/11/2015  5:09 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: dev@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Launching Accumulo Servers Programatically

Devs,

I've been working on the mesos-accumulo framework. For those not familiar
with Mesos, it is a cluster resource manager that allows you to launch
tasks across the cluster. To do that, you write a mesos framework.

We have proven this is possible with accumulo by writing a quick Scala
framework implementation that uses the accumulo script to launch servers
from a command line. This worked fine but we would like more insight into
the servers once they're launched, outside of does the pid still exist on
the machine. What I would like to do is something like:

org.apache.accumulo.server.Master master = new o.a.a.server.Master();

from inside the mesos executor code. Then setup some config, or pass it in
the constructor and call master.run() or whatever. The point is at the end
of some procedure the server is running, and I can call methods like
master.shutdown() or master.ping() or whatever else is exposed.  A nice
standard server interface across server types would be great.

I realize this may be quite a refactoring of all the server classes so I
thought I'd gather some opinions on the idea here instead of just writing
JIRA tickets.

Jim