accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ease of making release candidates (was: Javadocs in binary "release")
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 18:40:53 GMT
I don't see automation and prerequisites as being mutually exclusive.
Any sort of automation can still valid the necessary prereqs.

I understand that keeping as close to the normal `mvn release:prepare
release:perform` is desirable. It's reasonable to hope that people know
the inner workings of Maven, but I think it's a losing battle to push
for that to be the norm. The automatic GPG caching is a nice inclusion
in --create-release-candidate that lets me walk away from my terminal
faster, but aside from that, it's just a wrapper to not force everyone
to understand how Maven works. IMO, there's value in that.

Having a non-interactive command is very useful IMO. What does it assume
now? You referring to the assumed-available gpg-agent? Whether it's a
script or a Makefile is just details to me -- just changes how I invoke
it, not what the net effect.

A big issue that bothered me for 1.7.0 is the lack of clarity in how the
maven-release-plugin interacts with our branching strategy. We talked
about this on IRC (which I tried to capture[1] in a recent addition).
How can we improve the complete RC picture there?

The other half of me wanting to fork off this convo is that there's also
more to making a release than just making the release candidate. I
probably had 30+ commits to CMS over the past week (granted some of
which were me just editing content on CMS), but we have a lot of steps
which are now just copying files from the release, committing to the
site repo. I'd love to see more done for automation here that can reduce
the pain for the post-RC work.

[1] http://accumulo.apache.org/releasing.html#create-the-candidate