accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 19:48:12 GMT
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> My biggest concern in adopting it as a codebase would be ensuring that it
> isn't another codebase dropped into contrib/ and subsequently ignored. How
> do you plan to avoid this? Who do you see maintaining and running these
> tests?

[snip]

I'm curious about these also. Looking at the commits, it looks entirely
authored by existing PMC/committers. I assume those authors will continue
to maintain it, accepting pull requests and improving functionality. Can we
get confirmation on that? If that's the case, I think the concerns about it
being ignored are relatively low risk. In theory, it could also be another
surface, from which we can recruit new developers into the community.

I'm willing to give this a +1, since it provides tools which primarily
benefit Accumulo developers by enabling more release testing and because it
is already authored/maintained by members of this community. That is
provided we can address any other issues, like ensuring it works for this
community, and not just for CDH (which, I imagine is a mutual goal of the
authors).